This is my world and welcome to it!

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Hey, it's meeeeee!

~*~ I started typing this on Tuesday, March 2. (not sure what date is listed above)  I had a problem with the computer and lost everything that I had written.  Or so I thought!  I was telling my daughter about it earlier today (it's now Thursday) and she told me that blogger always saved to a draft.  ((really??!  Yippeeeee!!!))  I was worried about trying to re-construct this post, but now I didn't have to!!  Thanks so much, Nicole!!! ~*~

Not much going on in my neck of the woods, still cold way down here in central Florida and oh my gosh, it was so windy today! I know that March is the month for flying kites, but for today, I don't think that would have been a very good idea, not at all.  We're not used to having such cold weather here and for so long either.  It's STILL cold and it's March, geez.  But, I'm trying not to complain, it's better than it being hot year round.  I would love to have 4 seasons in every year.

I have entered another give away!  Over at Little Scraps of Happiness blog.  I have no idea how to make that so ya'll can click on it and get there.  But here's the URL   http://littliescrapsofhappiness.blogspot.com/   She's giving away a "Snippets" charm pack and a piece of coordinating fabric from the same line!  She'll have her drawing next Monday morning.  Snippets are some really cute fabrics, they even have a few pieces that look like the old paper dolls!  My mom would've gotten a kick out of that!  She used to tell me how they would cut out the paper dolls and outfits out of the newspaper and keep them in a cigar box!  Oh how I'd love to have that cigar box, I wonder what ever happened to it.  Did another little girl from long ago end up with it?  What a find that would be, in an antique store somewhere!

I can't believe that it's already been almost 8 months since my mom passed away, she died on my husband's birthday - July 9. She was also a quilter!  We had so much fun sewing and quilting together!  I surprised her with a lap quilt that I made for her, on Mother's day, 2006. That was right after I started quilting and had taken a few classes here in Orlando. (and of course, I can't find any of the photo's that were taken that day - I'll have to speak to my husband about that and show them to ya'll another time)  My mom started a quilting group at their church 2 & 1/2 years ago.  They make prayer quilts!  They make the lap quilts and fix them with DMC ties, but leave them un-tied.  They will take them to church on Wednesday and Sunday nights, with a card for each quilt saying who it's for.  People go up and sign the card and tie a knot, while saying a prayer for the person the quilt will be going to!  How awesome is that?!  The group is still going strong, I go whenever I'm in town.  They are always trying to recruit new members to get involved, there are only about 5 very faithful women who go each week. They would love to have some women (of any age) to join them, so they can learn about quilting and to someday carry on what my mom and these women have started.  I'm going to start making a few tops, to donate, along with some fabric for the backings, so I feel like I'm doing my share!  When my mom passed away last summer, I cleaned out her sewing room and donated 7 boxes of fabric and quilting supplies to this group.  This is a picture of me and my mom...


In October/November 2008, my mom was having some problems with her health, and just not feeling all that great.  She kind of quit going to a lot of the 'things' that she was involved in.  She was in 2 Red Hat groups, the prayer quilt group and another quilting group.  The women of the prayer quilt group kind of snuck around and made my mom a prayer quilt of her own!  Just before Thansgiving that year, they called my mom to tell her that they were all going to go and visit with her one afternoon.  They took the prayer quilt and had a very nice visit!  She loved the quilt and was so surprised (& touched) that they had made one for her!  Each of the women worked on a different quilt block, using the same fabrics.  All around the inner border, are prairie points ~ my mom had always loved those!!  After she received the prayer quilt, she started feeling better!!  Just knowing that all those women cared so much for her and knowing the work that went into making the quilt and keeping it a secret, along with the power of prayer, she felt better and started going to her groups again!  This is a photo of my mom's prayer quilt!

Isn't it pretty?!  And yes, those are my feet peeking out at the bottom.  The quilt is now on the back of the couch at my dad's house.  We believe that this time in my mom's life, was when the cancer started, but we'll never know for sure.  She had a long, good life, and thoroughly enjoyed herself while she was here.

Don't forget about the give away over at 'Little Scraps of Happiness' blog!  If you go over there to leave a comment, tell her that I sent you!

Ya'll take care!
     

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the mention of the giveaway! It's nice to hear the stories about your mom. I'm sorry for your loss and I can't even imagine how hard it is to lose a parent. But what a wonderful thing to know that you are quilting, carrying on one of her passions, and got to share those special times together quilting. The prayer quilt is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jen, I appreciate your comment on my mom and her prayer quilt. You're right, I do have a lot of good memories of all the sewing and quilting that we did together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Becky, what a beautiful quilt!!!! Thanks so much for the wallet! I appreciate it very much and so kind of you to do that. You have a blessed week and we will still keep trying to meet up in Starke soon! ok?? Blessings, Carmen

    ReplyDelete